Our Churches‎ > ‎St Mary‎ > ‎

The Nave

The Nave has a west wall and half of the south wall of 12 th century date; the doorway is of that date and above it is a 15th century window, with modified Perpendicular tracery, filled with glass given by Charles Egerton Legge in 1880 in memory of his father, Henry, and his brother, William Douglas. The font is 19th century and replaces a 12 th century square basin which rested on five shafts. Nearby, in a glass case are three flutes and a pitch-pipe; one flute, made by Bland & Weller, was played by William Mitchell (1805-1859), the leader of the church band and choir; another (also by a London maker whose name is indistinct) is said to have been played by Thomas Wackford in 1824 (he was born in 1807); a third flute, by Whitaker & Co. Of London, 1821, belonged to Arthur J. Bridle; the pitch- pipe was the property of William Mitchell. In the south wall of the nave are two windows; the westernmost was inserted in 1671, the other in the 19th century and contains glass in memory of Rachel Mary Theobald (1870- 1959). On this south wall are the following memorials, reading from west to east:-
 
  • Stone tablet to the 27 men of this parish who were killed in the 1914- 1919 war [see list here].
  • Stone tablet to Col. Edgar Thomas Inkson , VC, DSO, churchwarden for  13 years; d. 19 Feb 1947.
  • Stone tabletwith the badge of the Royal Sussex Regiment, to William Edward Sydney, son of Rowland and Maude Paget, killed in action in Eritrea, 8 April 1941.
The centre aisle of the nave is paved with floor slabs which, reading from east to  west, are memorials to:-
  • John Compton, gent., son of Richard and Joan, d. 26 August 1781, aged 75; Ann, his sister, d. 4 Nov. 1788, aged 63; Edward, gent., brother of John and Ann, d. 7 Nov 1788, aged 71.
  • John Compton, d. 30 March 1719, aged 81.
  • Ann, wife of John Compton, d. 1 [rest gone] and Thomas Compton  [buried 8 July 1737].
 
Between slabs 1 and 2 is a nail driven into the crevice; the story of this is that 'a drunken atheist one night boasted that he was going into the church, and there loudly proclaim his disbelief, driving a nail into the floor as evidence of his feat. He was found dead there the next morning, having driven the point through his smock, and thus unable to rise from his knees'. The man obviously died from fright.
 
The arcade separating the nave from the north aisle retains one 13th century circular column between the second and third bays. 'The first and forth bays reproduce the design of the ancient responds, and were pierced in the 19 th century through what was formerly a solid wall east and west of the arcade'; the pointed arches are of two orders. Above the easternmost arch hangs a carved and painted example of the Royal Arms as used between 1603 (accession of James I) and 1688 (end of the reign of James II), except for the period of the Commonwealth; they were also probably used from 1702 (death of William III) until 1707 when the arrangement of Royal Arms was altered as a consequence of the Union with Scotland.
Comments