Our Churches‎ > ‎St Mary‎ > ‎

Exterior

Except for the tower (1671) and south vestry which are brick, and some other 19th century additions, the church is built of rubble and roofed with tiles. In the south wall of the nave, west of the tower, are signs of a doorway, probably13 th  century.  The buttresses at the west end of the nave are original (i.e. 12 th  century), and between them is a doorway of the same date, with a round- headed arch of two orders, the outer having nook shafts, scalloped capitals and, in the arch, chevron ornament and roll moulding; the abaci of the nook shafts continue as an impost to the second order which has roll moulding on the arch. A slab immediately in front of the west door carries the indent of a very smallbrass inscription plate; on the garden nearby is a 12 th century scalloped capital, part of a floriated capital, and carvings of the symbols of the Evangelists - the latter from the reredos, now destroyed, put up by Gordon Hills during his 1863 restoration of the church.
The tower has two contemporary clasping buttresses on the south, and the chancel has a modern buttress on the same side; the south window of the tower is above the position of a brickwork doorway of which all traces have disappeared. The two upper stages of the tower have single-light, round- headed windows in the east, south and west walls; above the plain parapet is a pyramidal tiled roof supporting a weathervane, cross [missing] and flag pole.
In the large churchyard are some old headstones, but many have been removed to the western boundary; a path to the south vestry (with boiler house beneath) has been made of head and foot stones of which some are dated between 1742 and 1793. An altar tomb, west of the tower, covers the grave of members of the Souter family, 1806 to 1863. South of the church is the stump of an ancient yew tree. The entrance gates and lantern above are a memorial to Ernest Lock, 1891-1973.
Comments