Our Churches‎ > ‎St Mary‎ > ‎

Advowson

Details of the complicated descent of the advowson will be found in The Victorian History of the County of Sussex, vol. 4 (1953), pp. 103, 104; the Duke of Richmond and Gordon has been the patron since 1877 [See page 10 for a list of patrons]. Of the clergy, mention may be made of Richard Batsworth, "a man of low stature, very violent for the rebels, and a plunderer of the royalists . . . He had some learning, a great deal of chicanery, though seldom more than one coat, which for some time he wore the wrong side out (its right side was seen only on Sundays), till it was almost worn out . . .".
Comments